Thursday, September 29, 2011

DREEEEEWWWWWW!

If the chatter is true, then HE'S BAAAAACCCKKKK!!!

Now that's a $7 million/year face
I've held back on writing about Drew during his holdout because I have so many conflicting opinions about sports contracts and I can't decide with which side I agree more.  On one hand I think it's ridiculous that athletes have the gall to hold out and demand so much GD money when the people that are supporting them, and are the reason why they can even ask for a huge salary and actually get paid that amount, only get paid a tiny fraction of an athlete's annual salary.  But, as a part of the community that supports sports and so avidly follows hockey, I only have myself to blame.  If I so strongly hated the greed that some of these athletes express, then I could easily walk away and never watch another professional hockey game or any sports event ever again.  But I can't do that.  I love watching hockey.  I love going to games even though ticket prices rise and rise every year.  I love obsessing about hockey, the Kings, the players, everything about the game.  Basically, I can't imagine my life without hockey or most other professional sports.  Hearing about salary disputes will always irk me, but in the end because I support this game and this culture of paying athletes exorbitant salaries I can't fully blame players for being greedy.

I never thought Doughty's contract negotiations would go past July.  With each passing day in September I got a little more nervous the season would start without Doughty.  There's no doubt that he's a franchise player so it's reassuring to know he's signed for the next 8 years.

No comments:

Post a Comment